Question about electrons in nuclear fusion
tenakha
2010-09-03 14:41:19 UTC
Hello,

in the Sun, Hydrogen atoms combine to form Helium, releasing energy.
Can someone give me the Chemical equations in between? How exactly
does Hydrogen become Helium.

But my primary question is about the electrons. In the sun - where are
the electrons on these atoms? What happens to the 2 electrons on
Hydrogen when they combine to form helium?

Thanks
Tenakha Khan
Xavier Llobet
2010-09-03 15:29:00 UTC
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Proton-proton_chain

_x.
s***@cadence.com
2010-09-03 22:57:09 UTC
Post by tenakha
But my primary question is about the electrons. In the sun - where are
the electrons on these atoms? What happens to the 2 electrons on
Hydrogen when they combine to form helium?
At temperatures high enough for fusion, hydrogen atoms are ionized
into a plasma. The electrons are not bound to particular nuclei, as
they have enough energy to escape and move around freely.