The Prophet and Children
imanway
2009-10-04 21:14:03 UTC
The Prophet and Children
Please forgive us for any disturbance, but we have an important
subject to address to you regarding FAITH, and we Don’t intend to
overload your email with unnecessary messages…

Prophet Muhammad, may God send His praises upon him, was an
extraordinary husband, a perfect father,

and a unique grandfather. He was unique in every way. He treated his
children and grandchildren with great compassion and never neglected
to direct them to the straight path and to good deeds. He loved them
and treated them tenderly, but did not allow them to neglect matters
related to the afterlife. He showed them how to lead a humane life and
never allowed them to neglect their religious duties or to become
spoiled.

His ultimate goal was to prepare them for the Hereafter. His perfect
balance in such matters is another dimension of his divinely-inspired
intellect. Anas Ibn Malik, the Messenger’s helper for 10 years, says:

“I have never seen a man who was more compassionate to his family
members than Muhammad.”[1]

Muhammad was a human like us, but God inspired in him such an intimate
affection for every living thing that he could establish a connection
with all of them. As a result, he was full of extraordinary affection
toward his family members and others.

All of the Prophet’s sons died. Ibrahim, his last son, died in
infancy. The Prophet often visited his son before the latter’s death,
although he was very busy. Ibrahim was looked after by a nurse. The
Prophet would kiss and play with him before returning home.[2]

When Ibrahim took his last breaths, the eyes of the Prophet started
shedding tears. Abdur-Rahman Ibn Awf said:

“O God’s Messenger, even you (weep)!” The Prophet said, “O Ibn Auf,
this is mercy.”

Then he wept more and said:

“The eyes shed tears and the heart grieves, and we will not say except
what pleases our Lord, O Ibrahim! Indeed we are grieved by your
separation.”

The Messenger was completely balanced in the way he brought up his
children. He loved his children and grandchildren very much, and
instilled love in them. However, he never let his love for them be
abused. None of them deliberately dared to do anything wrong. If they
made an unintentional mistake, the Messenger’s protection prevented
them from going even slightly astray. He did this by wrapping them in
love and an aura of dignity. For example, once Hasan or Hussain wanted
to eat a date meant for distribution among the poor as alms. The
Messenger immediately took it from his hand, and said:

“Anything given as alms is forbidden to us.”[3]

In teaching them while they were young to be sensitive to forbidden
acts, the Prophet, may the mercy and blessings of God be upon him,
established an important principle of education.

Whenever he returned to Medina, he would carry children on his mount.
On such occasions, the Messenger embraced not only his grandchildren
but also those in his house and those nearby. He conquered their
hearts through his compassion. He loved all children.

He loved his granddaughter Umamah. He often went out with her on his
shoulders, and even placed her on his shoulders while praying. When he
prostrated, he put her down; when he had finished praying, he placed
her on his back again.[4]

The Prophet showed this degree of love to Umamah to teach his male
followers how to treat girls. This was a vital necessity; only a
decade earlier, it had been the social norm to bury infant or young
girls alive. Such public paternal affection for a granddaughter had
never been seen before in Arabia.

The Messenger proclaimed that Islam allows no discrimination between
son and daughter. How could there be? One is Muhammad, the other is
Khadijah; one is Adam, the other is Eve; one is Ali, the other is
Fatima. For every great man there is a great woman.

As soon as Fatimah, the daughter of the Messenger, entered the room
where the Messenger was, he would stand, take her hands, and make her
sit where he was sitting. He would ask about her health and family,
show his paternal love for her and compliment her.

Fatimah, knowing how fond he was of her, loved him more than her own
self. She always watched her father and how he called people to Islam.
She wept profusely when the Messenger told her that he would die soon,
but her tears of sorrow turned to tears of joy when he informed her
that she would be the first of his family to follow him.[5]

This is the Prophet and his relation to children, A man respected by
leaders, cherished and loved by children.

Footnotes:

[1] Saheeh Muslim

[2] Saheeh Muslim

[3] Saheeh Muslim

[4] Saheeh Muslim

[5] Saheeh Al-Bukhari, Saheeh Muslim

For more information about Islam

http://english.islamway.com/

http://www.islamhouse.com/

http://www.discoverislam.com/

http://www.islambasics.com/index.php

http://english.islamway.com/

http://www.islamtoday.net/english/

http://www.islamweb.net/ver2/MainPage/indexe.php

http://www.sultan.org/

http://www.islamonline.net/

Contact Us At

***@gmail.com
slapthebass
2009-10-05 04:12:59 UTC
HI Imanway,

Again you are on the wrong board, this is not the place to discuss
faith.

Search google groups for the word "faith" It's not that hard. You
are putting unnecessary messages on this board, and now my reply is
one.

Don't make your fellow Islamists look like fools too. Go on now and
please refrain from spamming groups with unrelated topics.

Another google search you might be interested in is "Netiquette" This
describes how to properly use the internet. Islamic Scientists have
been using the internet properly for thousands of years, and now you
have to go and break it.