Do Oceans Cause Plate Tectonics?
Edarg
2009-09-07 14:43:21 UTC
Do Oceans Cause Plate Tectonics?

(See also our sister website reticsessays.com)

Of all of the planets in the Solar System, only the Earth appears to
exhibit the phsnomena we associate with plate techtonics even though most,
if noot all of them have a hot molten vore which results in the radiation of
a large amount of internally generated heat to space. If we look closer it
is obvious that the unique feature of the Earth is the presence of a liquid
ocean which covers over 70% of its surface. (The other planets have
essentially 0$ coverage.)

If we examine what this coverage implies and recognize that the
temperature of the ocean below about 1000 feet is about +4 degrees kelvin as
a result of the fact that water as the temperature of water is recuced its
density increases until that temperature is reached and expands as the
temperature is lowered further. This low temperature at the ocean floor
facilitates the radiation of heat rising from the Earth's molten core to
space since the floor of the ocean is maintained at a temperature of 4 deg
Kelvin by the unique expansion properties of water. The ocean acts as an
isothermal heat sink which maintains its temperature by radiation to space.

The situation under the land masses is different. They act as thermal
blankets. (Some continental crusts extend below 25 miles in depth and are
extremely hot at their lower edge).
As a result, the continental crust under the oceans provides a much less
resistant path for the flow of heat from the Earth's core to space than do
the insulating land masses of the continents.
As a result, convection in the Earth's mantle occurs more strongly under the
oceans than under the continents. The resultant convection flow is upwards
under the oceans and downward under the continents. This cannot help but
provide strong forces acting against the crust which acr to produce
spreading of the seafloor.

I would make the argument that plate tectonics is natural reault of the
existence of water oceans on a planet and will not occur without the
presence of significant water ocean coverage. This concluosion is consitent
with the fact that all of the other observable bodies in the Solar System do
nothave oceans and do not appear to exhibit the phenomena of plate
tectonics.

The source material for this posting may be found in
http://einsteinhoax.com/hoax.htm (1997); http://einsteinhoax.com/gravity.htm
(1987); and http://einsteinhoax.com/relcor.htm (1997). EVERYTHING WHICH WE
ACCEPT AS TRUE MUST BE CONSISTENT WITH EVERYTHING ELSE WE HAVE ACCEPTED AS
TRUE, IT MUST BE CONSISTENT WITH ALL OBSERVATIONS, AND IT MUST BE
MATHEMATICALLY VIABLE. PRESENT TEACHINGS DO NOT ALWAYS MEET THIS
REQUIREMENT. THE WORLD IS ENTITLED TO A HIGHER STANDARD OF WORKMANSHIP FROM
THOSE IT HAS GRANTED WORLD CLASS STATUS.

All of the Newsposts made by this site may be viewed at the
http://einsteinhoax.com/postinglog.htm.

Please make any response via E-mail as Newsgroups are not monitored on
a regular basis. Objective responses will be treated with the same courtesy
as they are presented. To prevent the wastage of time on both of our parts,
please do not raise objections that are not related to material that you
have read at the Website. This posting is merely a summary.

E-mail:- ***@verizon.net. If you wish a reply, be sure that
your mail reception is not blocked.

The material at the Website has been posted continuously for over 8
years. In that time THERE HAVE BEEN NO OBJECTIVE REBUTTALS OF ANY OF THE
MATERIAL PRESENTED. There have only been hand waving arguments by
individuals who have mindlessly accepted the prevailing wisdom without
questioning it. If anyone provides a significant rebuttal that cannot be
objectively answered, the material at the Website will be withdrawn.
Challenges to date have revealed only the responder's inadequacy with one
exception for which a correction was provided.
The Spirit
2009-09-08 12:30:30 UTC
Post by Edarg
[...]
Interesting theory. So why does earth have all this water? Where
does it come from? What processes are occurring here on earth to
produce this water?

And what about our atmosphere? Excluding the gas giants, only Earth
has any real atmosphere, so how does that fit in?

There was a time not so long ago when the plate tectonic theory was
consider a crock, now it is the leading theory. Expansion and growth
of the earth can also explain the apparent shifting of the continents,
other than simple movement of the plates. With all of the incoming
solar radiation which is converted from light energy to mass through
the process of photosynthesis, and the geologic evidence available, is
it not likely that just as earth harbours life (again the only known
planet with any significant life... many orders of magnitude larger
than anywhere else) is it not plausible that the earth is growing? I
think that this is more likely than random movements of continents due
to undetermined geological processes.

Something to consider.

Cheers,
The Spirit
Vince Morgan
2009-09-08 23:45:10 UTC
"The Spirit" <***@gmail.com> wrote in message news:137d47f6-4fb5-4689-9610-***@q40g2000prh.googlegroups.com...
On Sep 7, 7:43 am, "Edarg" <***@verizon.net> wrote:
[snip]
Post by The Spirit
There was a time not so long ago when the plate tectonic theory was
consider a crock, now it is the leading theory. Expansion and growth
of the earth can also explain the apparent shifting of the continents,
other than simple movement of the plates. With all of the incoming
solar radiation which is converted from light energy to mass through
the process of photosynthesis, and the geologic evidence available, is
it not likely that just as earth harbours life (again the only known
planet with any significant life... many orders of magnitude larger
than anywhere else) is it not plausible that the earth is growing? I
think that this is more likely than random movements of continents due
to undetermined geological processes.
I have looked at the evidence for an expanding earth. The whole idea is
insane I believe, but nevertheless the evidence is certainly compelling. So
compelling in fact that I haven't yet found a way to ignore it. I don't
have the adequate training apparently.
Regards,
Vince
David Kerber
2009-09-09 12:20:57 UTC
In article <137d47f6-4fb5-4689-9610-
***@q40g2000prh.googlegroups.com>, ***@gmail.com
says...
Post by The Spirit
Interesting theory. So why does earth have all this water? Where
does it come from? What processes are occurring here on earth to
produce this water?
A couple of theories have scientific backing: deposited by comets, and
outgassed by volcanos.
Post by The Spirit
And what about our atmosphere? Excluding the gas giants, only Earth
has any real atmosphere, so how does that fit in?
It doesn't. Venus has a far denser atmosphere than the earth does.
Post by The Spirit
There was a time not so long ago when the plate tectonic theory was
consider a crock, now it is the leading theory. Expansion and growth
of the earth can also explain the apparent shifting of the continents,
Not growth/expansion; the earth is not growing to any signficant extent,
other than that caused by meteorite bombardment.
Post by The Spirit
other than simple movement of the plates. With all of the incoming
solar radiation which is converted from light energy to mass through
Light is not converted to mass by photosynthesis. Light just drives the
chemical reactions that enable plants to pull gasses from the air and
deposit them into solid matter.
Post by The Spirit
the process of photosynthesis, and the geologic evidence available, is
it not likely that just as earth harbours life (again the only known
planet with any significant life... many orders of magnitude larger
than anywhere else) is it not plausible that the earth is growing? I
No, it's not, again except for the minor mass gain from meteorite
bombardment.
Post by The Spirit
think that this is more likely than random movements of continents due
to undetermined geological processes.
They're not undetermined; the processes are mantle plumes (streams of
molten rock, rising due to thermal convection), which are driven by
hotspots in the core and mantle, which are in turn fueled by radioactive
decay and residual heat from the formation of the earth approx 4E9 years
ago.
--
/~\ The ASCII
\ / Ribbon Campaign