magnetic confinement - drawbacks
kev
2009-09-24 14:55:28 UTC
in particle physics, atoms and atomic nuclei have a spin that aligns
with a local magnetic field. Does this not reduce the combination of
angles at which nuclei can collide in a fusion reaction, possibly
ensuring that the nuclei constituents touch at the same spins?
greg
2009-09-25 11:12:27 UTC
Post by kev
in particle physics, atoms and atomic nuclei have a spin that aligns
with a local magnetic field. Does this not reduce the combination of
angles at which nuclei can collide in a fusion reaction, possibly
ensuring that the nuclei constituents touch at the same spins?
I doubt it. There's no necessary relationship between the
alignment of a particle's spin and its direction of motion.
Also, at the energies involved, I expect that any tendency
to align with the magnetic field would be pretty negligible.
Greg
kev